The autumn season is upon us, with its shorter days and cooler temperatures. It's the perfect time to warm up with a delicious homemade soup. So here's our recipe for mild Italian sausage soup: an original, comforting, and easy-to-make recipe!
- 4 sweet Italian sausages
- 4 golden potatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 12 oz crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup parmesan
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups spinach
- Remove the casing from your sausages. Dice 1 large onion (or 2 small onions), 1 bell pepper, 4 potatoes, 4 cloves of garlic, and 1 shallot.
- In a large pot, sauté your sausages in 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. While cooking, cut the sausages into small pieces. Once done cooking, remove the sausages using a slotted spoon, making sure to leave the oils in the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the pot and add the diced bell peppers and onions. Stir frequently and cook until the onions become slightly translucent.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the diced potatoes, the can of crushed tomatoes, chopped garlic, Italian seasoning, and diced shallot. Mix and let cook for about 2 minutes to allow the garlic and shallot to become fragrant. Season with salt to taste. Add the chicken broth and bay leaves. 3-4 cups should be enough to completely cover the mixture in your soup pot. Bring to a boil and let cook until the potatoes are tender (10-15 minutes).
- Once the potatoes are tender, reduce the heat and bring the pot to a gentle simmer. Add the heavy cream, cooked sausage, spinach, and grated parmesan. Mix well.
- *You can add more chicken broth to your preference if you find it lacking.
- Let it cool. And enjoy!